Friday 29 May 2015

Review: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Wikipedia information here!

As an artist I thought it would be interesting to watch this as it focuses on a young man who creates shoujo manga. I had no idea it would be this funny or informative and it's one of those rare titles that re-affirms a hobby or makes you want to try it. From the very start this anime has been incredibly enjoyable! 





First impressions; this seemed like a really sweet, highschool romance anime. I thought it was going to be all about our protagonist Sakura getting over her nerves and confessing love to sempai. The twist that sempai is indeed a shoujo manga artist with NO IDEA how to get a woman utterly threw me. But in the best way!

I love all the characters, they're all so unique and don't even come close to any tropes I've seen before in anime. Each of them is quite relatable in their own way. My favourite by far is Mikorin (the red haired dude), who by force of habit and playing dating sims always comes out with a really cool and flirtatious answer to girls but instantly regrets his decisions because he has zero confidence.

The bishounen are strong in this. Very strong. Animation quality, superb seiyuu and a well thought script really brings everything to life. I almost hate to be this praising of any anime, and maybe it's the teenage girl in me that's going all uguu after Mikorin, but I find very little fault in this series!

One of my favourite 'sub-plots'

I can't really go into plot much as I'd like to avoid spoilers and encourage you to watch this yourselves, but I'll highlight some general themes that really won me over.
Nozaki-kun is about 99% just about his manga, anything he does revolves around it, even down to his choice of daily activities and he goes to the oddest measures to gain more insight or materials. As an artist myself I can really empathise and it's hilarious to see it portrayed in anime.


Ready for a lovely anime to warm your heart and make you laugh? Watch it online by clicking here (a short ad will play first).

1 comment: